ALL ABOUT WINES
Favoured by the climate and the work of the people who cultivate this territory for over a thousand years, the land produces renowned wines of great quality. Here are some of our suggested itineraries to help you meet the wine-makers at the most important vineyards of the region and discover their work and their vintages.
A car or electric bike rental? Our team will take care of everything! Contact us at 04 90 54 33 07 or by mail
If you don't have the time to follow the Wine Road, our Boutique offers a beautiful selection with some legendary vintages such as the 2011 Châteauneuf du Pape Clos des Papes!
Also available on-line! And if you wish to expand your knowledge of the wines of our region, our sommelier offers discovery and wine tasting workshops at the 2 Michelin star restaurant l’Oustau de Baumanière. Consult the programme here !
Discover AOC Baux-de-provence
1h15 TOURIST CIRCUIT BY CAR
Forging the landscape of the Alpilles, between scrub land and olive groves, the vineyards spread out in this untamed and sometimes hostile environment. On this both pebbly and sandy, clay-limestone earth, the climate, the environment and the labour of the wine-growers give birth to robust and full-bodied red wines and well-structured rosés with fruity or floral hints.
This AOC comprises some fifteen wine estates, mostly organically farmed, that spread out between valleys and rocky hills and of which you will find a selection here.
• L’Affectif by Jean-André Charial: Right in the heart of the Alpilles, at the Domaine de Lauzières, Jean-André Charial produces 3500 bottles of rouge and 2500 of rosé faithful to his convictions and his commitment to respecting the environment and the cultivation of the grapevines. Hand-harvested, the estate is farmed by biodynamic methods with a limited yield, seeking the most beautiful natural expression of the terroir of the Alpilles.
Wine tasting à Baumanière: Contact us on 33 (0)4 90 54 33 07 for a wine tasting at Oustau de Baumanière. L’Affectif can also be purchased at the Boutique of Baumanière.
• The Mas de la DameWith its vineyards clinging to the rocky hillsides, the Mas de la Dame is a part of a beautiful family history that has lasted for 4 generations now. More than 50 hectares of vineyards are farmed organically and certified Ecocert.
Tour & wine tasting: every day during summer from 9 am to 7pm.
• Château Romanin (12km from Baumanière) :
The vineyards are also farmed by biodynamic methods. In a rocky cirque, the cathedral-cellar of Romanin was built next to the ruins of a 13th century castle. With the architecture of its winery, the cellar today takes into account the summer and winter solstices and the passage of the sun and the full moon almost like an astronomical observatory.
Tours on Mondays to Saturdays from 10am to 1pm and from 3pm to 7pm and Sundays from 11am to 6pm.
Free access to the winery and wine tastings possible here,(5€/person) Guided tour: 10€/person.
As a side note: it was at the Château Romanin in 1987 where Jean-André Charial started his adventure by planting the the estate's first grapevines.
DISCOVER THE WINES OF THE SOUTHERN RHÔNE VALLEY
1h30 from Baumanière by car
Since the dawn of time, vineyards have been cultivated in this Mediterranean climate with its complex terroir swept by the Mistral wind. It is also the largest wine-growing region in southeastern France with a great variety grapes: syrah, grenache, mourvèdre, cinsault, marsanne, roussanne, viognier. Share the passion of the wine-makers of this exceptional land. At the foot of the Dentelles de Montmirail, the panoramas are magnificent and the villages picturesque…
• AOC Châteauneuf du pape
The most emblematic of the AOC wines of the region! The village, once the summer residence of the popes, gave birth to a nectar qualified at that time as the “pope's wine”, a consecration that opened the doors international recognition.
An exclusive and emblematic wine that today represents 3200 hectares of vineyards bearing the appellation Châteauneuf-du-Pape.
The red wines are generous, full-bodied, with a dark and rustic ruby robe, with notes of raspberry and truffle. The dry white wines secs, with little acidity but rich in alcohol, with a floral aroma. The white wines present complex aromas of white flowers and toast and honey as they age.
THE FOREMOST WINE ESTATES:
Domaine de Beaurenard : 10 Avenue Saint-Pierre de Luxembourg, 84230 Châteauneuf-du-Pape.
Clos des Papes : 13 Avenue Saint-Pierre de Luxembourg, 84230 Châteauneuf-du-Pape.
Domaine du Vieux Télégraphe : 3 Route de Châteauneuf-du-Pape, 84370 Bédarrides.
Domaine du château de Beaucastel : Chemin de Beaucastel - 84350 Courthezon.
To do: the Fêtes de la Véraison from August 3 to 5. Live Chateauneuf du Pape like it was in the Middle Ages.
While there, take some time to explore the region; you are not far from the many surrounding villages that are just as rich in vineyards and appellations:
• Gigondas : a bit higher on the slopes of the Dentelles de Montmirail, the AOC Gigondas produces wines known for their force, their structure and their tannins; their aroma is spicy with a hint of black olives and their robe is dark. Did you know? 2015 was an excellent vintage… Let yourself be tempted!
Domaine Les Pallières : Route d'Encieu, 84190 Gigondas
Good wines being one of the pleasures of the palate, stop for lunch at lLOustalet, the Perrin family's restaurant at the Château de Beaucastel. You will have a great dining experience.
• Vacqueyras : mainly located at the foot and on the slopes of the Dentelles de Montmirail mountains and on the terraced land of the Ouvèze river, the AOC Vacqueyras are wines of character, fine and balanced and which, for the strongest, are sometimes very similar to the Gigondas.
Domaine du château des Tours : 153, route de Parisi, Quartier Les Sablons, 84260 Sarrians - Contact on +33(0)4 90 65 41 75.
• Beaumes de Venise : its wines and its famous, naturally sweet muscat.
Domaine de Durban : 2523 Chemin Durban, 84190 Beaumes-de-Venise.
*OUR BAUMANIÈRE TIPS*
• Céline Viany, former wine steward at Baumanière, is our enthusiastic partner in offering you personalized circuits (wine tasting at the estates, discovering the wines and products of the land...). Contact her directly here or go to our hotel's reception!
• When buying wine, don't load yourself up, many estates offer delivery.
• Don't leave without a hat, bottle of water and sunscreen! The sun is very strong in summer.
• Watch out for the alcohol content, it is not rare to see 15% on some labels!
* The abuse of alcohol is dangerous to your health, consume in moderation